Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mushroom decoupage to Frida portrait

Once upon a time in 1972 they used to do this crazy thing (well actually there were a lotta crazy things)-but one was decoupage-taking a picture of some polka dotted mushrooms or some cutesy thing and gluing it to a perfectly fine piece of wood.
Well-that's cool- however I am into this oil painting adventure right now and don't want to spend a bunch of dollars on new wood- plus that just doesn't seem right. Goodwill has a plethora of these little wood plaques with all the old funky stuff on it. 99cents-a little gesso and I am in business. The size is small and just perfect for me to experiment with the oils-but not break my bank with using so much paint.
I am still in my Frida mode and decided that instead of the wacky kitties that everybody wants-I would have my own agenda (a la jafabrit blog inspired) and paint a portrait of someone I believe to be worthy of such recycled wood.
I am very pleased with how she turned out, and learned a lot in the process--I need new brushes and I need to get new glasses!!-I had to take them off and put the work up really close in order to tackle the small size.
As my own agenda is seeping through, I have started a portrait of my grandson on a little block of wood. I think about who or what is the most meaningful to me and has purpose for me to paint and spend time with that subject. Right now it is people I enjoy looking at and who mean something important to me.
Somewhere back in art school I remember one of my drawing teachers saying-whatever you are drawing should be something you like to look at and is emotionally pleasing to you-for beginning drawing or painting that is so true. The more I already know and like about my subject, then I can concentrate on the techniques or medium I am learning to use. So that is what I am doing with the oil paints.
My next project- painting and drawing on recycled cigar boxes. talk about 1972-sheeesh- I know that was a thing we did then, too, however-since this is MY agenda for what I want to do as an artist-I'm gonna paint suns and moons and peace signs on 'em, too--so there!

IMAGINE PEACE

1 comment:

jafabrit said...

lol! I love it! love it! love it!

Your painting of Frida is WONDERFUL, beautifully rendered. Love your attitude :)