Friday, August 3, 2007

work with mistakes


This is the "accident technique" I discovered the other day, but used on a different subject area.
Here is the "process."
I was printing scans onto post- it note paper and discovered that my fingernail had accidentally scratched the print. I was not thrilled with having to spend more time and ink on making mistakes-then I remembered Mrs. Schirmer, my high school art teacher, saying "work with your mistakes." I started sqiggling all around with my fingernail, almost as if to see how messed up I could make this. However, I got somewhat excited at seeing the ink peel back and create strong contrasting patterns that repeated some of the patterns in the subject. It reminds me of scratch boards in a way and I noticed other tools (exacto blades, paperclips etc ) didn't seem to work as well as my own fingernails-wierd, but fun. Thanks Mrs.Schirmer, I made a mistake, and I hope to make more. I like the way this turned out.

No comments: