Friday, August 1, 2008

Gearing up for Backyard Urban Faire






So- I have been working on a few things. The "box factory" is all the recycled cigar and chewing tobacco boxes I have been painting, collaging and whatever else-ing.
Then, I got into a Sculpey mode. Never done it before and it was kinda fun- roll it, and pat it and mark it with a "design" and bake it in the oven for jewelry for me-or somebody-
THEN I found a huge canvas at Goodwill-actually a bunch- but bought two. LOVE- I know is the symbolic sculpture we all remember from our youth-'60s and '70s children-and I'm not stealing it but rather using it as a symbol and personal reflection on an idea i had-
the whole idea of this painting was for me to-
1. paint larger that I have for a long time-
2. get it done in a day--because I approached this project thinking like this: big giant canvas- intimidating- must put an incredible work of art on it -after all -it's trees and stuff -ok- get over it-
think-quickly-simple think
What would I do if I found out I was going to DIE tomorrow? kind of a motivator for me to paint and not be intimidated by the canvas creature- so I thought- what would I do- what would I want to say and do-- and make it simple(for everybody)
I thought what would I want my grandsons to know and remember from abuelita?
Simplify in a visual statement LOVE ...LIVE, love
-always -now and -forever-
--- just like the Beatles say --we all know "love is all there is."
some may think it - well whatever "they" wanna think-it's still my agenda and that is my message- it means something to ME-
Oh and then I have a skirt -that I thought it said 14 and it actually said 1.(point) 4 --WHAT? anyway - it is being turned into a collage kinda thing (work in progress) using the lid of a cigar box with the fabric glued on and a little song about catching stars and puttin' 'em in your pocket-actual pocket from front of skirt.
All for our Backyard Urban Faire (in my backyard) on Aug. 16th in conjunction with Hawthorne Day in my "hood."

1 comment:

jafabrit said...

I like your attitude and approach.